Tower Systems supports independent small businesses, local businesses that play a vital role in local communities. we are proud to serve close to 3,000 such small and indecent retail businesses through our POS software.
Being a connected local business is vital. Today we share advice for our retail partners on how they can improve their local connection.
- Establish a what’s on noticeboard in your window or on a wall for promoting local events.
- Sponsor a locally focused newsletter which covers issues of local interest. Create this as a forum for local groups to use.
- Link to local clubs and groups on your business website.
- Talk to your local council – they are bound to have suggestions on ways you can connect with the local community.
- Create or support a local traders website.
- Collect change from customers for local charities. Track what you collect and keep your customers aware of the value reinvested in the community.
- Talk to local schools, do they have activities which you can support and for which they promote your business?
- Sponsor an annual encouragement award at a local school and present the award yourself.
- Talk to local health and nursing facilities. Do they have needs which you can meet with excess stock?
- Create a newcomer pack with other businesses and deliver this to families new to the area.
- Support at least one local sports club. This is best done through either uniform sponsorship or sponsoring a regular award.
- If appropriate to your product mix, offer products from local businesses and individuals.
- Offer to sit on local boards and committees for groups known for doing good work in the community.
- Offer space in-store for community groups to promote their work.
- Office space in front of your store for community groups to run a sales stall.
- Offer your front window a couple of time a year for a community group to promote their work.
- Support local causes – offer to have petitions available for customers to sign in your store.
- Write to the local newspaper about local issues – let your passion be seen.
- Run local events which connect with the local community. The nature of the event will depend on your business niche and skills of locals nearby. For example, you could sponsor a local art show.
- Price compare popular items in your shop with bigger businesses further away. Promote your savings for the local community as a point of difference.
This advice is part of a broader range of business improvement advice from Tower Systems for its customers.