As an engaged POS software company we find ourselves providing a variety of advice to small business retailers, even outside the usual remit for a POS software company.
Here is some advice we provided recently to retailers on our suggested best-practice approach to managing the departure of an employee. This advice was created for a specific situation but we think it is valuable for any small business retailer.
Here are some simple steps to consider taking when an employee stops working for you. These steps are designed to protect your business and the former employee.
- Change your locks. If you’re in a high-street situation and if the employee had keys, changing the locks is important, especially if the employee has left under a cloud.
- Change all your computer passwords – regardless of whether they had access to these or not. Contact support for assistance with changing passwords within Retailer.
- Change your supplier website access passwords.
- If your employee did any buying, advise your suppliers of their departure.
- Ensure superannuation is up to date.
- Have business-supplied uniforms and name badges returned.
Too often business owners don’t consider steps like these until after an incident has occurred.