Local retailers were quick to respond to the Covid pandemic and the needs of the local community who could not go far from home.
In our work with thousands of local retailers we saw many pivot, or adjust, to the new situations brought through Covid. It was wonderful seeing local small business retailers respond, and to see their customers respond, too.
March 2020 heralded in a new era of shop local, in part because we all had to. Today, early in 2023, many local retailers are benefiting, and continues using to lean more into serving local shopper needs.
2023 can be a year of shopping locally. The community benefits. The planet, too, benefits.
We know form our work with a variety of local retail businesses that there is a diverse mix of products available, many of which have been locally sourced, from gifts to homewares to food. These local businesses have brought to town more products and services than ever. It is a joy to be part of what is helping local retailers service their local communities in this way.
We all have a part to play to make 2023 a wonderful year for the local community.
So, what can you do to support local businesses in 2023? Here are a few simple steps:
- Shop at local stores and markets. Make a conscious effort to shop at locally-owned businesses rather than online or chain stores. This includes everything from groceries and clothing to home goods and gifts.
- Buy local products. Ask where it’s made. Preference locally made products. Your query can encourage local retailers to stock more local.
- Use local services. This can include everything from getting your hair done at a local salon to hiring a local plumber or electrician.
- Share the love. Tell your friends and family about the great local businesses you’ve discovered and encourage them to shop local as well. You can also leave reviews online or share your experiences on social media to help spread the word.
- And, like. Each time you like a social media post by a local business, it is cheer for them and the more they feel those cheers the more able they are to help your local community.
Part of our role here at Tower Systems is to provide local retailers with tools on which they can rely to serve local shoppers. We only serve local specialty retailers. And while we for sure benefit when you shop local, you benefit too in many ways.
Join us in making 2023 a strong shop local year, for your community.