A fun event for any small business retailer is Christmas in July. Here are twenty tips to get you started on the opportunity:
- Check with your local council or business association as to what they have on – more and more are running Christmas in July events. Be sure to check with charities too. A quick search online shows plenty do. Talk to suppliers to see whether they have anything which could help you embrace the opportunity.
- Run the Christmas in July campaign over no more than two weeks in July. One week could be enough.
- Choose dates which are away from any other promotion – it works best with little competition.
- Get all employees together, seek their ideas and explain the value of the season you are creating.
- Set aside a defined space at the front of the store.
- Dress the team and the store to suit the Christmas theme.
- Display any spare Christmas stock from last year.
- Play Christmas music.
- Choose a day for an extra special celebration and make this an all-out focus.
- Have a competition for the kids around the theme. This could be a coloring competition –display their works of art as parents and family will visit to see.
- Create a giant Christmas stocking which one lucky customer can win.
- Use the event to discount slow moving items – try and create a real sense of bargains.
- Promote the event using a flyer to houses around your location – it is a great way to draw people into your shop. On the flyer, promote the activities and any specials.
- Call the local paper and get their attention.
- Connect with a local charity that is busy at Christmas time and use your Christmas in July event to raise funds for them.
- Use the promotion to drive interest in Lay-by for more expensive items. The sooner you lock people in on more expensive items the better.
- Consider running the promotion with other retailers – the more noise you create the better.
- Don’t wait for suppliers to offer products – ask what they have.
- Being Winter in Australia, Christmas in July is your opportunity to have a cold Christmas event.
- Have fun.