Through its help for small business retailers, POS software company Tower Systems helps beyond the software, beyond what is usual for a POS software company.
The most recent help has been through practical advice on how to deal with feeling overwhelmed…
If you feel overwhelmed and can’t work out what to do, reach for this list and try one of the practical and safe ideas. They cost nothing.
The goal is to help you see small steps you can take to walk through whatever it is that makes you feel overwhelmed.
- Go for a 5k or longer walk outside, alone. Not a stroll, but a walk, at pace if possible. Unplugged, no phone, no music.
- Establish rituals for your day. How you start your day, how you end your day, lunchtime, bed time. For example, starting with breakfast, and a nice tea or coffee could be the calm start to the day you need.
- Have apps on your phone that are fun and you enjoy. Play one of these for a while to take your mind off things. It is amazing how our mind helps us resolve things when we turn away from those things.
- Learn meditation. From simple controlled breathing to yoga, meditation can be a perfect reset from a busy and overwhelming day.
- Play Scrabble through Facebook on your computer. You can play anytime with someone you have never met and will never speak to.
- Draw, even if you think you can’t. If you are not sure what to draw, draw why you feel overwhelmed.
- Write. Anything but you could try writing on the page about what it is that you think makes you feel overwhelmed.
- Talk. We are good listeners.
- Three-count breathing. Inhale for three counts. Hold for three counts. Exhale for three counts. Do this for, say, ten rounds. Then increase the count. The rhythmic nature of this and concentration can help you see ahead.
- Earth. Go to the beach, a park, your backyard and take your shoes and socks off and put your feet on the ground.
- Watch. Go to a playground and watch kids play. If there is a local sports game on near you, go watch that.
- Start a journal. Write in it every day.
- Be clear to yourself when the day is done. While it is tough in small business to turn off, have a threshold so that once you cross it, you have turned off and the time is yours.
- Find a quiet place, put on headphones connected to a music source and listen to your favorite album of all time, with the volume turned up and a do not disturb sign on the door.
- Get away to a safe place and write a note to your overwhelmed self. Give yourself honest advice you’d give your best friend if they came to you with the feelings you have.
If you are struggling beyond what these suggestions can help with, consider speaking with your GP about a mental health plan. This provides access to medical professionals who can help you more effectively deal with what it is that leads you to feel overwhelmed.
Tower Systems develops and supports small business POS software. Our advice and help often reaches beyond what is usual for a POS software company. www.towersystems.com.au