What should a small business retailer ask a POS software company as part of your process of considering whether to use their software?
The important part of this question is small business retailer. What small business retailers need differs to what big business retailers need.
What may look good in a video or an online pitch may not be good when you need help or a specific facility or access to an integration to help you grow your business.
Beyond the functionality of the POS software itself there are questions you can ask that could inform a better business decision on what is right for a business.
To help you think about possible questions, we have put together twenty-six for your consideration. Read through these and start to think about questions that could be useful for you.
The answers to these questions will better inform you, they will help separate software companies you are considering. The answers will help you see the software company that is a better fit for your specific business today.
Take your time. The right software company will be a long-term partner of your business.
- Will you come my business to assess my needs?
- Will you come to my business and demonstrate your software?
- If you know your software is not a good fit for my business will you say so?
- Is your company Australian?
- Is the software developed in Australia?
- Is your help desk based in Australia?
- Is your company Australian owned?
- Are you selling software you developed yourselves?
- Can you convert data from other software?
- Do you sell to big businesses, 25 shops or more?
- Does your software link with Xero, MYOB & Quicken?
- Can I access your software from home and elsewhere?
- Do you own and run retail businesses as test sites?
- Can I connect your software to a website?
- Do you develop websites I can connect to?
- If you develop websites are the main platforms of Magento, Shopify or WooCommerce?
- Can I rent your software?
- Can I lease your software?
- Can I purchase your software outright?
- Is your software designed specifically for my retail channel?
- Will you train me on your software in my business?
- Will you train my staff in how to use the software?
- Is software support included for the first year?
- Do you charge to help me uncover employee theft?
- Do you charge to assess the performance of my business?
- Do I have to buy my hardware from you?