In our work with independent small business retailers we get to see man different retail businesses up close. We have seen plenty take on young employees, right out of school. Some do it well while others struggle. Through this time we have see good attributes in school leavers that we share here…
- Learn as much as you can.
- If you are not sure of something, ask. Don’t assume.
- Work out how to love your job, because if you don’t, working there will not be good for you or the business.
- Be as low maintenance as possible. Your employer is not an ATM you can tap every time you feel like sleeping in.
- How far you go in a business, and in your career, is up to you. You get out what you put it.
- Add value. If you do this a business will want to keep you and that gives you leverage in this job and your next.
- Every day, it is up to you.
If you are a business owner and hiring school leavers, step up to the responsibility seriously. You hire them, train them, manage them and determine their value to the business as as the value of the business to them. Oh, and being their friend is not an ideal step to good management.