Retail is tough. Small business is tough. In our POS software, small business retailers have tools that help them compete, tools through which they can differentiate their businesses and reach new opportunities and customers.
Sometimes, the best way to compete is to stop competing. That is what we want to talk abut here today.
What is competition anyway. Often, it is inn our head and there it swirls around and does bad things. Let’s take a moment to look at competition differently.
Too often we in small business see competition and get angry. We ignore the opportunity to change gears and stop competing
In our Tower Systems POS software our retail small business customers have facilities through which they can change gears, through which they can recast your offer so it cannot be compared to those from a competitor.
These gear changing competitive tools in your current software include:
- Discount Vouchers. This is the most effective form of immediate loyalty rewards we have ever seen, driving excellent sales results. Charge more for an item and reward shoppers with cash off their next purchase.
- Buy X get Y – Multibuy. This focuses people on a volume based offer rather than a direct simple purchase.
- Package multiple items together for a price you set. Done right you can get more than the total value of the items in the package.
- Special orders. Major retailers tend to prefer to sell what they have. Special orders are often considered too difficult. If you manage it well and make it easy, you can pitch your business competitively.
- Sell you. Include insights, knowledge and advice with purchases, on receipts, automatically. Show, through every sale, that buying from you is different to other retailers where they could have purchased the same item.
This small list is a taste of the game changing opportunities though which you can compete in non traditional and often more valuable ways. These are ways we can help – through the software and through business advice that helps you leverage the software for wonderful times and insights.
Next time you feel competitive pressure from a big business, ask what you could change gearsin your business to position you differently, to not look like you are competing.
The more you can do to block direct price comparison the better. But don’t block, change the playing field. That is what we like to do.
Here at Tower Systems we can help with these and other initiatives in this area of smart competition.