Choosing POS software for a retail business is a daunting task. The software companies usually make it difficult to compare.
Tower Systems is a software company. Our goal is to make it easier for you.
We don’t want you to choose our software if our software is not the right fit for your business.
This is why our first advice is to make this decision about the software first. Make sure that you compare what each software package does. However, before you do this, ensure you know what you want out of software for your business and the amount you are prepared to pay for what you want.
Knowing what you want is as important as is knowing what you are prepared to ay for what you want.
The reality is there are cheap POS programs out there. You get what you pay for, every time. The cheapest product is the cheapest because they have either not invested as much in the development of the software or because they do not back the software with the same level of service.
Yes, you get what you pay for. This is why you haver to be realistic about the amount you are prepared to invest.
In considering software, start with the functionality. Look at each software package. Compare how it works against what you want from software you purchase.
Once you have a list of software packages that do what you want, dive deep into support coverage. Look carefully at how support is delivered, how you can access this, the training opportunities and how your business can be helped with the training and support.
If you are not sure what to look for in support, consider this wish list:
- Easy access on the phone, through human to human conversation.
- Locally based. i.e. not offshore where people don’t understand your business.
- Help beyond the software. Is there an accountant you can talk to or a retail business specialist.
- Regular free group training.
- Easily accessible personal one on one training.
- Regular updates but with you controlling when to install these rather than having them forced on you.
- An escalation process if you are not happy.
- The contact details for the owner of the business.
Ultimately, only you can know the best POS software for your type of business and your business. The value of the decision you make will reflect the approach yo7u took in making the decision. The old maxim of measure many times and cut once is true here.